Google+ Learn English for FREE! Communicate with the world: Read - and the past participle

Tuesday, April 04, 2017

Read - and the past participle

*In English there is another verb form that we use called the past participle. A common example of this verb form is eaten. (eat ~ ate ~ eaten)
We often use it with the auxiliary (helper) verb HAS/HAVE 


"I like to eat interesting food. I ate alligator in Sao Paulo Brazil, but I have never eaten whale."


Been is used as the past participle of go when somebody has gone somewhere and come back.
"I want to go back to Sao Paulo one day. Have you ever been there?" 

Sometimes the past participle and the past tense are the same. 
(buy ~ bought ~ bought)
"Have you ever bought something expensive and then felt bad about it after?"



Read can be a confusing verb because the present tense and the past tense are spelled the same but they are pronounced differently.

I like to read. ~ present tense sounds like REED

I read that book when I was in high school. ~ past tense sounds like RED

These books are read all over the world. The past participle also sounds like past tense RED




So 3 forms the verb read look like this!
(read ~ read ~ read
(REED RED ~ RED)

Let's read some examples and practice the pronunciation:

A: "Have you read the new Harry Potter book?"
D: "Not yet. My Dad read it and he said it was good. I will read it on the flight to Canada in August."



"Michael doesn't like to read."